5 Tips for successful key account mailings
One of the most challenging aspects of landing a new customer is getting their attention in the first place. Over the years of helping clients with this challenge, we’ve learned that one of the most effective ways to tackle this is to send them an engaging and attention-getting key account mailing.
Not only will this break the ice when your sales team comes a-callin’, but it is also measurable and will provide a high return on your investment. Here are some things to keep in mind when developing key account mailings:
- Develop a compelling and relevant message that will resonate with your target audience. The message should be about them, not you.
- Be willing to spend a little more per mailing in order to develop a high-quality, attention-getting piece. Don’t just send out a postcard – provide them with something they will use and will actually remember.
- Be extremely engaging. These people are high-level decisions makers who are busy people. Your mailing needs to stand out. If you don’t succeed in engaging them, they will ignore it.
- Follow up. This is the most important step. Key account mailings are not designed to get prospects to buy your products. They’re designed to be an icebreaker that will get your sales staff in the door. If your sales team isn’t ready to step in and complete the sales cycle, you might as well be throwing your money into a big, roaring fire.
- Be selective. Limit your mailing list to your top prospects. Companies often make the mistake of sending to 150 or more. Unless you have a huge sales force, that makes successful follow up virtually impossible.
Key account mailings are a great way get people to recognize (and remember!) your brand. But it needs to be more than a simple postcard – get creative and have some fun. And remember, we’re always around to spark some great ideas if you need help!