If scrolling through social media is your guilty pleasure, you're not alone. The latest digital report from HootSuite finds the average person spends 2 hours and 27 minutes each day on social platforms.
To meet your audience where they're at, your brand must keep up. And as of late that comes in the form of short video content.
With a surge in TikTok -- now the most downloaded app in the world -- Instagram knew it was time to truly integrate video. So, they went ALL IN on Instagram Reels.
According to Instagram, Reels are “entertaining, immersive videos where you can creatively express your brand story, educate your audience and get discovered by people who may love your business”. In the app, you can find Reels by clicking the middle icon at the bottom of your screen. It looks like a director’s clapboard with a triangle play button in the middle.
When incorporating Reels into your brand, make sure:
• Reels are less than 60 seconds.
• Have a 9:16 aspect ratio.
• Avoid copyright music, interactive stickers or gifs. Business accounts already have limited access to music.
• First and foremost: the Instagram algorithm favors Reels. This means that if you post a Reel, Instagram will likely show your content to a larger audience than if you simply post an image. In other words, by leaning into Reels, you can work with the algorithm to build your brand, rather than fighting against it.
• Reels allow you to get creative when promoting your brand. Utilizing trending sounds, aesthetically pleasing tactics, or presenting multiple angles or applications of a product are just a few options. This gives you the ability to connect with your audience in new and different ways.
• Reels DON’T require a big budget or production value. Unlike traditional video posts or ads, Reels are actually more powerful when they’re informal, relaxed and authentic.
Just like a standard social post – you’re able to amplify your Reels through a small spend to enhance visibility. This will bring your Reel to an even larger audience, resulting in more engagement and new followers. Though they may look complicated the app makes it an easy, straightforward process, and you’ll get more efficient as you keep practicing!
Reels are making a large social platform feel small – and giving creators and businesses an opportunity to build their brands regardless of a blue check mark or high follower count. In fact, it’s often harder to achieve higher engagement rates with larger followings. HootSuite reports Instagram video posts average 1.5% engagement rate – higher than photo posts that average 1.18% engagement.
If you’re already active on social media, it wouldn’t hurt to try out short-form video content and see how it performs for your brand. And don’t forget relevant hashtags that help categorize your content and expand its reach. The all-time most used Instagram hashtag is #LOVE – with more than 2 billion uses.
Are you feeling a spark to start posting Reels? Familiarize yourself by downloading the Instagram app and seek out the trending videos hitting your “explore” page. We’re wishing you viral success, with or without the dance moves!
Ready to see what social media can do for your business? If you’re looking to spark some social fires, give us a call!